Monday, November 19, 2012

Restaurant Review: Colicchio & Sons

Hope all of you had great weekends! Mine was filled with family time, more Diwali celebrations, and a date night. There is something especially fun about eating at a celebrity chef's spot, and that was part of the reason I was so excited to try Colicchio & Sons. I was hoping to get a glimpse of Tom Colicchio himself, but we weren't so lucky. The space is grand and lofty, but the tables are close together and add to the neighborhood feel. When we walked in, we were greeted by exquisitely tall stems in thick glass vases, and a smell of wood smoke in the air. Perfect on a cool New York night. The food felt like a blend of Italian dishes with French flair, and even hints of Indian spices shone through.




The staff was friendly and quickly accommodating to my vegetarian needs, and while there were not too many veggie options on the menu (this was formerly a steakhouse, after all), I was very satisfied with the options. I started with the Wild Mushroom Salad which was served with the most savory shaved parmesan cheese I've ever had. For my entree, I tried the seasonal Squash Ravioli that was recommended by our waiter, and it melted in my mouth.  The restaurant offers an extensive beer list (hubby was thrilled), but I chose a Cahors from Southwest France which was ideal with my meal. It was a great romantic spot, but would also be fun with a big group. Next time I would definitely try the Pea Cake and the Mushroom Risotto.

Definitely worth a trip to the meatpacking district, even if means dishing out a few extra bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment