Sunday, December 16, 2012

Coping and Making a Change


Liking so many Americans, I've been struggling to cope with Friday's senseless tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School. When I became a mother, as I held little J for the first time in the hospital, I thought about how much my life had just changed. I felt such an overpowering love, it was unlike anything I had ever experienced. She was healthy and happy and we were so blessed. I knew that I would do everything it took to take care of her. I knew even then that I would never be able to stop worrying about her. It is the blessing and curse of every mother everywhere. After the mass murder of 6 and 7 year olds, now parents have to worry about their children's safety in elementary school. What has our world come to?

I cannot fathom how the parents of 20 beautiful, innocent children, will be able to go on with their lives after what happened last week. That in just a week, there will be Christmas without their children. That after the grief and devastation, there will have to be a sense of normality. How does a mother cope with such a tragic, horrific death of her child? What do parents say to the surviving siblings? How do the survivors move on? I get goosebumps everytime I think about it.

My thoughts went from the innocent children and their families, to the family of the perpetrator himself. What made him act this way? Why did he have access to deadly guns? What can we as a society, or our government, do to stop this insanity? The violence in America is an issue with many roots -- mental health, gun control, media violence and bullying. All we can do is what we can do:

Sign this petition to limit access to guns

Do whatever you can to help children with mental illness and their parents who are crying for help

Talk to your kids about bullying


Praying for everyone in Newtown, CT... the lost lives, the bereft families, the heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment