Friday, August 2, 2013

Summer Reading List

I've read so many great books this summer, so I decided to compile a list of my favorites for those of you who want some gread reads this August. These books are intellectual but not heavy, with addictive story-lines, and great characters. They are sure to make your travel feel faster, and beach time more enjoyable.

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton DiSclafani is a mysterious, enchanting read about a young girl who is sent away from her family to live at a "camp" for one year, where she will learn to be a refined young woman. The book takes place during the Great Depression, but is centered around girls and families with wealthy upbringings. This equestrian camp is focused on horse-back riding, but teaches Thea about the world outside her childhood bubble. Here, she makes close female friendships as she reflects back on her childhood and shattered home, while taking some responsibility for her actions that led her here.


The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls is another great novel by this author who is well known for her memoirs, The Glass Castle, and Half-Broke Horses, both of which I loved. Similar to the other two, the Silver Star focuses on a young girl whose mother is too preoccupied with her own issues to raise her children. Walls' description of dysfunctional families is fascinating, and the voice of her narrator is so innocent yet strong, it will suck you in. I noticed that many other readers/reviewers found this to be her least well-written novel, and it was widely criticized to read like a young adult novel meant for teenagers. While I can see this perspective, I still loved the book and would recommend it for a light summer read.


Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple, is a hysterical, unique work of fiction that will leave you hooked. Bernadette is a quirky, intelligent, (and maybe a little bit crazy) architect, wife and mom to Bee, a 15 year old who is her biggest fan. Bee and her family are busy planning a much-awaited trip to Antartica when Bernadette suddenly disappears. The book is set up with several narrators, emails, letters and is basically a mystery novel with twists and turns. Must read!


The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer, which I reviewed here, is still my top must read for 2013. If you haven't already, pick it up soon!


Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, is a heart-breaking tale of a young Will Traynor whose life is turned upside down in the blink of an eye. He is depressed, grumpy and negative as a result of his tragedy... until he meets sweet, fiesty and energetic Louisa Clark, who is determined to turn his life around and show him that there is still something worth living for. This is an unusual romance, and as the love blossoms between these two unlikely people, you will find yourself pondering many greater ethical questions. I promise, you will not be able to put this down!


Does anyone else have great summer reads to add to this list? I'd love to hear any suggestions!! Happy reading, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Words can not express how happy I am that I stumbled upon your blog. I am a 25 yr old recent law school graduate, who recently rediscovered her love of writing and began my blog about a month. I've been struggling recently with my new love of blogging (and all the hopes and dreams I have for the future of it) and my chosen career choice as a lawyer (hopefully an employed one soon!). I questioned how it would all fit together & was very nervous that it couldn't. Finding your blog gives me so much hope! Thank you so much for- well, for existing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great to hear!! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete