Thursday, August 1, 2013

Recipe: Acorn Squash stuffed with Wild Black Rice & Heirloom Tomato/Sweet Corn Salad


Believe it or not, acorn squash is a summer squash, even though its known to be a fall/winter dish. Acorn squash tastes great baked or steamed... I found a great looking one at the local farmer's market and was excited to stuff it and serve for dinner.

I made a wild rice pilaf with peas, onions and chillies, and seasoned it with basic salt and a dash of cumin. If you haven't cooked with black wild rice before, you are missing out! Wild rice is high in protein and is gluten-free, plus, it tastes delicious.

It was easy to cut off the top of the squash, scoop out its inside (which I added to the pilaf for great texture and flavor), drizzle it with evoo, some seasoning, and stuff it with the yummy cooked pilaf. I baked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, and it came out so sweet and moist.

We ate it with my favorite greek yogurt dip that is perfect as a sauce, chutney or spread.




I love crunchy, fresh corn in salads - and paired with heirloom tomatoes, this was the perfect blend. I used fresh mozzarella, baby spinach, and dressed it with lemon juice, a dash of olive oil, salt and Indian Chaat Masala. The sweet corn is such a great contrast to the tangy Chaat Masala. YUM. I made up this whole dinner as I went along, but here's a great recipe for corn and tomato salad.


What's your favorite type of rice? 

No comments:

Post a Comment