Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Being Mommy: J's First Day of School



I didn't realize little J's first day of school would be such an emotional experience for me as a mother. This past week, as I was getting things ready for school, putting away little J's summer dresses, shorts, and tanks -- I was overwhelmed with a feeling of nostalgia. It wasn't easy to replace the carefree, floral sundresses for wool sweaters and the bright tanks for the warm colors of fall. Because J has both outgrown those summer clothes, and the season is changing, I can see how she is growing up right before my eyes. She can suddenly have full conversations, drink from a regular cup, use the toilet, sleep in a big girl bed and even choose her own clothes. She's definitely not a baby anymore!




Today was her first day of school (a 2's program, which is basically pre-nursery school), and there are so many other firsts to come along with that. This morning, my heart was heavy as I watched my baby girl take her first steps into a world where we, as parents, cannot follow. It's both sad and wonderful to think of all the learning, laughing and life lessons she will learn while we are not present. Through her school days, we will only be in the sidelines to cheer her on... and it's not easy to let go. Thank goodness for waterproof mascara.






Wish us luck as we go through this transition!

1 comment: