Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fall Reading List

Are you looking for the perfect novel to cuddle up with this fall? There are so many great releases to sink your eyes into... grab your favorite pumpkin latte & get reading!

Here are some of my picks!

The Lowland, Jhumpa Lahiri
I just finished reading this last night (book review to follow!), and I love love looooved it. This is a hearbreakingly intimate story, charged with political passion, duty, and love. The story is about two brothers who share everything as children, but have vastly different lives ahead of them. One remains in India, following his political ideals, and the other moves to America to pursue scientific research in a quiet life. What happens in the lowland outside the Indian brother's home brings them back together to heal many wounds, and focuses this novel on regret, love and youthful ambition. This story, like Lahiri's others, is extremely well told and will be a classic on your bookshelf (or kindle library catalog!). No surprise that it has been shortlisted for the booker prize.


Someone, Alice McDermott
If you've read any of her other work, you know that McDermott is a lyrical writer with the ability to have you hooked from the first page. Someone is the same way -- beautifully written, and vibrant. It's the story of an ordinary woman's very ordinary life, full with life's ups and downs. It's a great achievment to write a grand book about daily life, but she has done it in this novel. Focusing on Marie's life, it tells the story of her first love, marriage, and the lives of her loved ones. This is a highly sensitive, insightful book that everyone can relate to!


A Tale for the Time Being, Ruth Ozeki
This incredible novel, while not a new release, swept me away. It's set in Tokyo, cenetered around a lonely, bullied young girl who plans to end her life. Before she does, she wants to document the life of her grandmother, a Buddhist nun who has lived more than a hundred years. This collection is found in a Hello Kitty lunchbox, washed up on a beach, by a struggling writer named Ruth. Ruth lives in British Columbia, and is fascinated and obsessed with the letters she finds. They pull her into Nao's young life, but also push forward her own.


If you haven't already, pick up We Are Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler, which I reviewed on the blog here.


The Valley of Amazement, Amy Tan
Can't wait until this comes out on November 5th! You can pre-order now.


We are Water, Wally Lamb
Wally Lamb is one of my favorite authors, so I'm psyched for his next novel, coming out October 22nd.



I find that I read a lot more as the weather gets cold... hope you feel the same way and enjoy these great reads! Have you read anything amazing to add to this list? I'd love to hear!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for some great recommendations. I've recently enjoyed "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" and "The Husband's Secret".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuddling up with a book and a hot beverage sounds like a great idea. =) I'll definitely be reading the Alice McDermott you recommended! I'm also looking forward to picking up Jonathan Lethem's "Dissident Gardens", as I loved his book "Motherless Brooklyn" when I read it last year. Alice Munro, my favorite short story writer, just won the Nobel, so I'm thinking of revisiting some of hers that I've read, and finding some ones I haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "Where'd You Go Bernadette?" as well! And Alice Munro is my favorite too... I was so happy for her when I heard. Thanks for the other recs -- I will put "Motherless Brooklyn" and "The Husband's Secret" on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this reading list, I was looking for good reads to add to my queue. Reading Alice Munro collection now, and Lowland next, can't wait. especially after hearing that you loved it (now I know for sure, I'll love it too :)

    ReplyDelete