Monday, December 23, 2013

Nursery Design Series: Little Night Owl


This week we'll be featuring our last parent-designed nursery, one that is sure to inspire you! Jacquie created this adorable, budget-friendly and functional nursery for new baby boy!


About a year and a half ago, my husband and I moved out of New York City to the suburbs of Pennsylvania. Although we miss so many things about NYC, one thing a house in the suburbs offers that a New York City apartment does not is SPACE! We had a whole empty room that was all ready to be turned into a nursery!



When I started designing the nursery, all I knew was that I wanted a calm, clean look with white furniture. I started with the crib and really loved the mid-century modern design. I was initially drawn to the Oeuf Sparrow Crib, but after doing some research and reading lots of reviews, I decided on the Babyletto Hudson crib…the same design for a fraction of the price! I also liked that it converts into both a toddler bed (rail included) and daybed. For bedding I went with the Owls design from Dwell Studio, which inspired somewhat of an owl theme for the nursery. (I am still waiting on the blue crib skirt from Dwell to complete the set, which is on back order until February!)



I wanted to be able to use the rest of the furniture for years to come, so I went with the Brighton white dresser and Jeremiah Rocker from Crate & Barrel, and the white 5-Cube bookcase and a grey pouf from Land of Nod.  I added a white changer top and changer basket to the dresser, also from Land of Nod, to make it baby-ready.

The walls of the room were already painted this color ("Macadamia" from Sherwin-Williams). I would have loved to paint the walls a different color to match the nursery, but we decided it wasn't worth it in a rental home. For artwork, I turned to AllPosters.com.  After looking all over the internet for owl-themed art, I decided to go for a different look on the walls. My husband and I love all animals and want to instill that same love in our children, so I chose these animal prints by Andy Warhol, one of my favorite New York artists.


One of my and my husband's favorite stories is The Little Prince. I can't wait to read it to our son and teach him its valuable life lessons. I found this great print of one of the illustrations from the book, also from AllPosters.com.


Lastly, I found the white porcelain owls for the bookshelf, and my good friend (and author of this blog!!) sent me the colorful owl bookends as a baby gift, which go perfectly in the room!

Jacquie, I absolutely love the theme of this room, and especially the artwork you chose. Such a clean, lively space!

The rest of this series can be found hereherehereherehere and here!

No comments:

Post a Comment