Monday, December 2, 2013

Nursery Design Series: Two of a Kind


Our nursery design series continues with a double nursery today! Sabeen, mom of two-and-a-half year old identical twin girls, shares her beautiful, functional nursery and the transformations it has undergone as the babies have grown up!

When my OB announced that we were expecting twins, my husband and I let out simultaneous nervous and excited laughs.  We had signed up for one kid but had never expected two!   When we discovered they were identical twin girls, I started planning out their nursery and envisioned something girly yet simple. Our Manhattan-sized Nursery wasn’t going to allow for any extra clutter and we needed to fit TWO cribs.


I am type-A.  I won’t deny that when you combine that with the nesting instinct that comes with being pregnant, I was a little nuts.  I created a small model of the nursery so that I could layout the furniture so that it fit perfectly within the specs of the room.  I needed two cribs, a glider/rocker, a changing table and a bookshelf, all to fit in a 10’x12’ space!

We went with a light/bright pink and green story with white furniture.  First, my husband painted our walls “country green.”   Next, we purchased simple Pottery Barn cribs (that can later convert to toddler beds) and a matching white dresser/changing table.  I really liked the Dutailier Glider & Ottoman but it wasn’t available in white so we had to custom order it (it arrived 12 weeks later!).  For wall decor, I found pink and green wall art on Trendy Peas and an oval chenille rug (also from Pottery Barn).   I am obsessed with Serena & Lily bedding so I went with sheets from there (bumpers came with the set but were removed when I read this article).  Although they were pricey (we had to get additional sets for the occasional leaks, vomiting, etc that come with the territory), the sheets from Serena & Lily were worth it.  They still look new two years later!  We also have cellular window shades in the room but added these blackout panels and finials/rods.  The nursery has an attached bathroom so we went with a similar pink and green garden theme there.  I hung nylon butterflies on the wall and a growth chart which I got as soon as the kids started standing.  They really do grow like weeds! 


When the girls were babies, there weren’t many toys to create clutter so things were easier to manage.  Now that they are toddlers, however, we’ve had to make some changes to the room because they have so much “stuff”.  We have added some frills (including anywhere chairs which the girls LOVE!) and a large bookcase from Land of Nod that we use for most of their toy storage.  We also have a smaller toy chest that we got from Amazon.com.  



I love keeping their things organized, and I really want the girls to learn to help when it’s clean up time so I organized their toys in pink canvas crates and created labels for each crate with both words and pictures (so the girls know what belongs where).  Once the girls started sleeping with blankets, I also purchased these adorable blockprinted toddler quilts.  We have also moved the glider to be between both cribs because it was becoming difficult to read bedtime stories to both kids at the same time.  I know this room will evolve in more ways over the years (maybe bunk beds are next?) but hopefully we do too and move to a bigger place!




What a fun place to play and cuddle up!! Sabeen, I especially love the easy to read labels for the toy baskets... may have to steal that idea! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful space with us!

More real-life, parent designed nurseries here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment