Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Recipe: Creamy Carrot Parsnip Soup & Kale Quinoa Salad

After a long holiday hiatus, I'm so happy to be back to blogging. What a month it has been - all of us have been sick (cough, cold, fever, pink eye - you name it, we had it!) but are finally on the mend and ready for the new year. I also went back to work after the holidays, so it has been a tough adjustment for me. I do love my job and was feeling ready to go back in many ways... and it really was time to stop wearing sweatpants all day! But it's so hard to leave TWO adorable faces every morning, and its been tough logistically. This is my third week back and I'm finally feeling more settled... and ready to get back to the blog.

If you've been freezing this week, just like us New Yorkers, try this hearty Carrot & Parsnip soup, paired with a light and refreshing quinoa salad. I never used parsnips until I had a baby, but it is a great and versatile root. Packed with antioxidants, and potassium, it is great in a puree for baby food because its starchy and slightly sweet. I followed the recipe above but subbed in veggie stock for the chicken stock, spiced it up with indian red masala, cumin seeds and salt, and skipped the sour cream. This is such a smooth soup, you will feel instantly warm and relaxed as you slurp this up! Yummy for your tummy and great for your soul.


I made the Kale & Quinoa salad with ingredients I had on hand -- mixed boiled quinoa with cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, baby cucumbers, avocado and pomegranate seeds. The pop from the pomegranates is key to this salad... if you don't have these on hand, try cranberries or craisins instead. I tossed it all in a homemade dressing whipped up in the Vitamix...  1 cup of greek yogurt, 1/4 cup sour cream, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 2 tbsp. of diced jalapenos, and pinches of paprika & salt. It was so good and paired well with the slightly sweet soup.


What's your favorite winter soup??

More recipes, book reviews, mommy chatter coming your way soon! Thanks for visiting and stay tuned :)



No comments:

Post a Comment