Friday, February 28, 2014

Recipe: Creamy Asparagus & Mushroom Soup


It was so frigid out that I had tears in my eyes as I pushed the stroller home from J's Super Soccer Stars class one of these bitter cold NY evenings. The cold stung my face and I had forgotten my gloves at home, so my hands felt numb for a good ten minutes even after I got home. As I've asked myself countless times this winter, why do I live here again? 

It was definitely a soup night. I decided to make a Creamy Asparagus & Mushroom soup to combat the cold, and it turned out to be a decadent way to do so...even though I made the soup without dairy. I paired it with a creative and delicious toast... using fresh baked bread, drizzled with {my new obsession} avocado oil, spinach, crumbled goat cheese, sliced tomatoes and sea salt/black pepper. 



I've made more soups this winter than ever before! One of the few ways I can keep my family cozy through the Polar Vortex... 

Creamy Asparagus & Mushroom Soup

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped asparagus
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/3 cup chopped celery
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water

1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup canneli beans
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp miso

sea salt, pepper flakes, garlic powder and pepper to taste

Method:
In a large pot, bring the asparagus, mushrooms and celery to boil in the veg stock with added water.

Meanwhile, blend together the almond milk, beans, lemon juice and miso in a food processor or blender until smooth... and then set aside.

Once the veggies are soft, use an immersion blender to blend while keeping it chunky. Pour in the cream from your blender, and stir until its mixed well. Add sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper and pepper flakes to taste. Garnish with cilantro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment