Monday, February 3, 2014

Recipe: Healthy Homemade Granola Bars

Lately, I can't leave the house without a stash of snacks to tide me over between meals. Breastfeeding is demanding! I am constantly hungry, especially after nursing or pumping. In trying to pack nutritious snacks, I came across this recipe for healthy, 5 ingredient granola bars. These bars have a dose of protein and good fats from the peanut butter & almonds, and the oats are great for milk production. I edited this recipe by adding a touch of coconut oil for flavor and chewiness and played with the ingredients a bit. I used honey and some raisins to sweeten the treat, but you can add anything you have on hand -- almond butter, flax seeds, dark chocolate chips, nuts, cereal, figs - the recipe lends itself to any tastes. Next time I'm going to mix in some crushed pretzels, craisins and pistachios. YUM!


I really love how these are substantial and very filling, without excess sugar and artificial ingredients. Perfect for a light breakfast on the go, or as a snack anytime.... and no baking involved!!




2 comments:

  1. yum, this is a great recipe tip! will try it this week ;) - Nadia

    ReplyDelete