Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Recipe: Penne with Eggplant Puree

I've come across some very juicy and fresh eggplants recently, and wanted to try something other than my usual go-to eggplant dishes (Eggplant Parmesan or Indian style Bhurtha). I'm so glad I experimented with Giada's Rigatoni with Eggplant Puree... it was a great way to use yummy eggplant and I tossed in some cherry tomatoes and broccoli to round it out.


I modified the recipe by adding a touch of vegetable broth and using an immersion blender to keep the puree chunky, and used penne instead of rigatoni because that's all I had in stock. I also added a bit of pesto sauce as well as paprika, for some added flavor. The result was divine!

Eggplant is a great vegetarian staple... its hearty, fleshy and easily adaptable to many different tastes. I love it in Italian foods, Indian curries and even as part of an Asian stir fry... yummm. This is an easy and quick week night dinner, try it sometime!

2 comments: