Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Review: Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy C. Cherry

If you are in the mood to read an incredibly touching and unforgettable love story, pick up Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy C. Cherry... it's the perfect start to summer reading! This is very different than the books I usually read, but I wanted to review it because I think many of you may enjoy it as a beach read.

I didn’t plan to stumble into Joe’s bar and have Daniel’s music stir up my emotions. I had no clue that his voice would make my hurts forget their own sorrow. I had no idea that my happiness would remember its own bliss. 

When I started senior year at my new school, I wasn’t prepared to call him Mr. Daniels, but sometimes life happens at the wrong time for all the right reasons. 

Our love story wasn’t only about the physical connection. 

It was about family. It was about loss. It was about being alive. It was silly. It was painful. It was mourning. It was laughter. 

It was ours. 

And for those reasons alone, I would never apologize for loving Mr. Daniels. 

This novel centers around a "forbidden" romance between a teacher and student, but is about much more than the love they share. This is a moving and complex novel that will have you falling in love on every page! Daniel and Ashlyn have a chance meeting at a train station, after which he invites her to hear his band "Romeo's Quest" perform on stage. I loved all the Shakespeare references throughout this novel, bringing me back to my college days when I majored in English. A lot of this novel will bring you back to your youth -- the feeling of a first love, the all-consuming nature of attraction and chemistry... and the promise of tomorrows. 


When they meet, Ashlyn and Daniel are depressed and lonely. Ashlyn has just lost her twin sister to cancer, and  her family has fallen apart after this tragedy. Similarly, Daniel is broken and tortured, but they find happiness and romance with each other. Right away, they have a beautiful and intense connection but it is shaken when they both appear in class together -- him as the teacher, and she as the student. 

Although their love is "forbidden" -- it is unconditional, powerful and heartbreaking. The character development and prose of this beautiful story will leave you astounded and invigorate you, just before breaking your heart. While there were many parts of this book that are exaggerated, maybe even borderline trite, if you can let go of all that for a bit... you will find magic in this inspiring love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment