Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer Reading List

I know I've been MIA on the blog for the last couple of weeks... but I have good reason. The kids and I, with hubby joining us on the weekends, were enjoying a relaxed, sunny vacation in East Hampton. It was filled with trips to the beach, dips in the pool, long lazy afternoon naps, and lots of bonding time. I'll fill you in more very soon, but meanwhile, I'm back this week with some great posts inspired by my time off.

To kick off the official start of summer, here are my picks for summer reading! I've devoured every single book on this list during my two week vaca, and I know you all will love them just as much as I did. Happy reading!!


The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan was the first book I picked up while in the Hamptons, and it really captured me with its touching passages, insight into marriage, and unique juxtaposition of four marriages in different times with their own strengths and struggles. I also loved learning more about the diamond industry, and the idea of a diamond being forever, which is central to this novel. Definitely an enriching summer read.


We Were Liars by E. Lockhart is an insanely addictive story about a young girl with partial amnesia resulting from a mysterious accident during her annual summer vacation at her family's private island. The Sinclair family is comprised of rich, beautiful people with blond hair, perfect features and equally imperfect relationships. I loved the author's well written description of their lovely home, their strained relationships, the close friendship between the cousins, and most of all... the enchanting nature of a first love with the backdrop of the magic of childhood summer. I promise, you won't be able to put this one down!!


The Vacationers by Emma Straub is about a family's two week vacation in Mallorca, where extended family is getting together to celebrate milestones. In the meanwhile, they surface tensions, rekindle relationships and even reveal secrets. This is a sufficiently satisfying story about family that is just as dysfunctional as any other, but the character development is definitely lacking in depth. Still, I'd classify this as a good summer read.


The Tender Bar by J. R. Moehringer is the most compelling memoir I've read in a long time. This was published many years ago, but was recently recommended to me by a friend who told me she thought this was one of the most significant books she's ever read. Truly, this is a heartbreakingly beautiful novel about a fatherless boy, his hard-working mother, and this young boy's struggles with society. This book is essentially about growing up, but told using a bar as the vehicle. Extremely well written and remarkably captivating... 


I am Having So Much Fun Here Without You by Courtney Maum is a reverse love story about a 34-year-old failed monogamist who has lost his mistress to a famous cutlery designer. Set in Paris and London, this is a strangely romantic, witty and hysterical story with deep emotional undertones. Richard Haddon, despite his many flaws, is a loveable character and you will certainly enjoying exploring the themes of fidelity, loyalty and fleeting youth alongside him.


What's on your reading list this summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment